I’ve been grinding my own beans and making my own coffee since last September. This isn’t your conventional cheap coffee either. It’s luxurious, delicious, organic (and fair trade when I can get it) coffee.
Oh, did I mention that I’m on track to save $500 this year by drinking this liquid gold? Here’s how the process works:
- Buy your coffee in bulk from your local grocery store, coop, or roaster (and bring your own jar!).
- Every morning grind up and brew your preferred bean. Compost the grounds if you can.
- Absolutely do not go to Starbucks because you are too lazy. It takes just as long to stand in line as it does to make your own.
- Drink that delicious cocktail.
- Feel good about saving money, and also reducing your footprint on the planet.
If you want to look at the raw numbers, I made a spreadsheet that reflects my current drinking habits and compares them against buying a drink at Starbucks. It’s view only, but you can tinker with it if you go to ‘File’ -> ‘Make a copy…’.
Too lazy to click that link? If you compare my yearly coffee drinking habit against a similar brew (Organic Yukon blend) from Starbucks, I will be saving over $500 this year. Even against the conventional, not organic, brew at Starbucks I will be saving $380 this year.
Just for kicks, lets assume my daily drink is a tall S’more Frappuccino (your body thanks you for not doing this). Over the next 25 years I would save a whopping $25,000!